The Synagogue
A decree made by the government of the Dubrovnik Republic in 1546 allowed Jews to settle within the city ramparts.




     

This officially marks the establishment of the Jewish Ghetto on the street called Žudioska ulica. In 1652, one of the houses was turned into a Synagogue, whose interior is in the baroque style. It has been preserved to this day, with minor changes, and is one of the oldest synagogues in Europe.

The first floor houses a museum with a number of religious artifacts and archive documents. The Torahs in particular, which date from the 13th to the 17th centuries, bear witness to Dubrovniks Jewish community throughout six centuries of history.

Besides the Synagogue, the Dubrovnik Jewish Community has its own cemetery at Boninovo and a small Jewish fountain at Pile.

Working hours: 1 May - 1 November: Every day 10.00 am - 8.00 pm

1 November - 1 May: 10.00 am - 3.00 pm,

Closed on Saturdays and Sundays

Address: Žudioska 5
Phone: +385 20 321 028
 

 
Send or Boomark this page
Print this page
Contact & booking
info@lsadriatic.com
 
   
   
 
 
Copyright (c) LS Adriatic 2006. All rights reserved.
Apartments Dubrovnik | Apartments & Villas riviera Dubrovnik | MAPsearch | Excursions & Transfer | Sail | Dubrovnik Informations | About us | Guest reviews | Restaurant & Recipes
web design iDEA-studio